Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Odd Angry Shot



It's about soldiers.
Pre-dating "Platoon" by years, "The Odd Angry Shot" does not glorify war, but explores the depth of mens souls "in" war. Many Amercans have forgotten Australia was even involved in Vietnam. This is their story.
Early on a young soldier is warned that he will be well sought after for his stories when he returns home, but forgotten when people are tired of hearing them, the stories he see's unfolding are funny, sad, somber, and grotesque, but they are part of who he will become. Don't view this movie expecting an Oliver Stone-esque movie, just don't be suprised if you become part of it. It is a great movie, long overlooked.

AN UNUSUALLY REALISTIC DEPICTION OF SOLDIERS IN OPERATION
By the time I saw this movie, I had already been a soldier with many years and a few operations under my belt. I found this movie, (which is based upon the Australian contribution to the Viet Nam War (Special Air Service)), to be the most realistic portrayal of a soldier's life on "the pointy end" in such operations. High cost, push-button wars with overwhelming advantage may currently be centre stage, but "low intensity" operations are a part of human history; 100 years ago and 100 years into the future. The tactics and technologies change, but the challenges, dangers and realizations shared by comrades-in-arms will not. (The technical advisor is also to be creditted. I would be hard pressed to find fault in any of the military methods, such as fieldcraft.) This is a well-researched and very realistic portrayal of troops in the bush.

Fantastic Aussie Movie
Do whatever you need to do to see this film. Sensational performance from all involved including the late, great Graham Kennedy. I know a vet & he indicated this was a very realistic portrail of the Vietnam war. Up there with Mad Max in my faves!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment