Monday, September 16, 2013

Doctor Who: The Green Death (Story 69) Special Edition



The One With the Maggots! A Great Dr Who Series
At the HQ of Global Chemicals Research Centre in Wales, head honcho Jocelyn Stevens arrives to talk to the laid-off miners gathered at the gate. Good news, he tells them. The coal mine is shut down, but the company has government approval to restart as an oil company.

Not everyone is happy about that. Also gathered is a smaller group, lead by biology Professor Jones, protesting the drilling due to environmental concerns. But before Stevens can address Jones' questions, the mine's warning whistle interrupts. We already know why, because we saw a terrified miner desperately trying to escape the mine, one of his hands glowing green. By the time he's found, his dead hand on the whistle lever, the green glow has spread to his face.

In the meanwhile, back at UNIT, the Doctor is happy to tell Jo Grant that he's fixed the TARDIS dematerialization circuit. "I can now take the TARDIS where ever and whenever I like. I've got absolute control over her." The first place...

A good story.
This was one of the first Doctor Who DVD's I ever got. It is a very good 6-part third doctor story that features the last appearance of Jo Grant, the Doctor's assistant, who get's replaced by Sarah Jane Smith.
I don't know why people are so against the idea of special editions. Sure we would all rather see animation for the missing episodes (currently episodes 4 and 5 of 'The Reign of Terror', episode 4 of the 'The Tenth Planet', episodes 2 and 4 of 'The Moonbase', episodes of 2 and 3 of 'The Ice Warriors', and episodes 1 and 4 of 'The Invasion') but those take a long time. So in the meantime, since all of the complete stories have been released, they came up with the idea of Special Editions to keep customers entertained. I didn't start buying them until recently; I currently have 'Inferno: Special Edition' and 'The Visitation: Special Edition'. Sometimes the original releases cost more then the Special Editions (Spearhead from Space (original release) currently costs $30, but...

Awesome
What can you really say? If you are an old school Dr. Who fan then you need this. I have only 30 or so more episodes to collect before I have all of the classics. Incredible stuff. The new stories have great special effects but the old episodes have deeper stories.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment